Our real dining room is finally starting to come together. I still need to replace the bench with a settee on one side of the dining table, but I finally got curtains, (almost) finished the chairs and replaced the lighting.
When we moved in, we had an icky (and way too small) brass and yellow glass chandelier. I removed the globes and painted it black a few days after moving in to tide me over until I found a new one. We finally replaced it with a DIY light last week. I first saw the one we chose at Suacy Glossie (it’s also on a few other blogs). Here is my finished version:
We already had the shade and cord, but to buy them new from IKEA is only $9. It takes about 350 coffee filters (I underestimated and had to go back to the store twice–when it looks like you only need about 50 more, you probably need over 100), and those cost less than $4.
It’s one of the easiest projects ever. To add coffee filters to the shade, grab each one from the inside, pinch the base together, apply hot glue to the outside of the base while it is still pinched and stick it to the paper shade.
The shade gets heavy where you put the coffee filters, and will try to roll away as you’re working, so to get it to hold still, I made a base from a towel. Just roll one up and then form a circle with it, then put your lantern on top.
The cord set is made for plugging in, but to hardwire it (if you’re comfortable with electricity), just cut the plug off, and pull the wires apart–at that point, it will be exactly like replacing a hardwired light. (Update: I made a tutorial of turning a plug-in light into a hard-wired light.) If you don’t want to hardwire it, the cord set comes with hooks so you can plug it into a socket and hang it from anywhere.
It really doesn’t look orange at all when it is on, it just shows up that way in photos. I’ll get this photography thing figured out someday.
If you don’t already already have the supplies, this project would cost about $14 and take about 3 hours. I totally recommend it.