Can you guess where we keep our board games?
They are in the landing! The particular project I’m sharing today was actually done almost 2 years ago, it just hasn’t really been presentable until the living room makeover happened.
Sorry, I don’t have any decent photos of the project since it happened pre-blog, but it’s really simple.
We pulled up the floor boards that were covering the landing. Then we put down a section of plywood, mounted by hinges on the inside. It’s easier to show you than explain it. Roll over the photo below to see how it works. (If you’re reading in a reader or email, you’ll have to come on over to see it work.)
Right now, it’s still just stained plywood, we will most likely be covering it in thin strips of wood to match the rest of the floor. And then I need to touch up and caulk the baseboard, but we’ll get to that when we re-finish the stairs.
We are incredibly happy with it. It was a relatively simple project that only cost about $25 and it’s totally hidden, that’s our favorite part.
And, now that I see it in pictures, I really want to paint the inside, it’s so not pretty. Another project for the ever-growing list!
Update: I covered the inside of the landing lid with some polka dot wrapping paper, and it now looks like this: