When we purchased our house, we planned on finishing the attic and using it as an office. Much like my dollhouse, it was going to be sectioned into his and hers. But with all the projects I have going on lately, there just isn’t going to be enough room for both of us, and I’m far too noisy when I’m working anyway.
So we talked it over and decided to use the guest room as my office. The guest room has been housing all of our office supplies and books in moving boxes since we moved in because of the attic remodel, but we made huge progress in there a couple weekends ago. (I’d show you what it looks like now, but I’ve already disasterfied it again.) This room is only about 8′ wide by 11′ long (I think…I’ll have to go measure it again, super tiny anyway.) It has 3 nice, big windows and awesome views, the front window is a flowering pear tree, and the side windows look at a big, red Japanese Maple. Here are the listing photos:
The wall color is sooooo ugly and flat. I ripped up the carpet just after moving in and the original floors were painted white (so cute! it’s probably what I would have done to them anyway). (Oh, and please don’t freak out about painting 120 year old floors, it took a special kind of talent to trash the floors as badly as they are trashed throughout the whole house.)
So I made my first official mood board!
A few weeks ago, I found that little painting at a second hand store for $2. It’s adorable (and unfortunately, very small). I loved the colors and the quality and the scene looks just like a couple of our favorite travel destinations. So it has inspired the room.
I don’t want it to get too girly, but I have a few pieces of furniture that aren’t pictured that will bring in some masculinity. I also plan on painting the cabinet, I have no idea what color yet, but something to balance out the sweetness.
Here’s the rest of the stuff:
* The wall shelves are of course, IKEA. I already have them in white, but I plan on doing something cool to make them unwhite, I’ll post more when it’s done.
* The inspiration chandelier is for sale here, but I plan on repainting the ugly one that was in the dining room when we moved in, can’t decide yet whether to go with mint or the muted teal.
* The loveseat is also IKEA, not only is it a cute little space to sit, it’s a full size bed for guests and it has storage underneath for the bed linens. Total score.
* The pillow and throw are Anthropologie.
* The mobile craft station/file cabinet is a made over end table, inspiration found here.
* The rug is also IKEA. Only $30 and the perfect color.
* And the color palette is from Design Seeds.
* The tree branches as wall shelves were inspired by deco & style.
Update: Forgot to post my inspiration pic for the pink walls (mood board is also updated)
|Style at Home|
And there you have it. Will keep you updated as we progress on the room and see how close we can stick to the plan. Any advice or suggestions? Any rooms you have repurposed lately?