When we purchased our house, we planned on finishing the attic and using it as an office. Much like my dollhouse, it was going to be sectioned into his and hers. But with all the projects I have going on lately, there just isn’t going to be enough room for both of us, and I’m far too noisy when I’m working anyway.
So we talked it over and decided to use the guest room as my office. The guest room has been housing all of our office supplies and books in moving boxes since we moved in because of the attic remodel, but we made huge progress in there a couple weekends ago. (I’d show you what it looks like now, but I’ve already disasterfied it again.) This room is only about 8′ wide by 11′ long (I think…I’ll have to go measure it again, super tiny anyway.) It has 3 nice, big windows and awesome views, the front window is a flowering pear tree, and the side windows look at a big, red Japanese Maple. Here are the listing photos:
The wall color is sooooo ugly and flat. I ripped up the carpet just after moving in and the original floors were painted white (so cute! it’s probably what I would have done to them anyway). (Oh, and please don’t freak out about painting 120 year old floors, it took a special kind of talent to trash the floors as badly as they are trashed throughout the whole house.)
So I made my first official mood board!
A few weeks ago, I found that little painting at a second hand store for $2. It’s adorable (and unfortunately, very small). I loved the colors and the quality and the scene looks just like a couple of our favorite travel destinations. So it has inspired the room.
I don’t want it to get too girly, but I have a few pieces of furniture that aren’t pictured that will bring in some masculinity. I also plan on painting the cabinet, I have no idea what color yet, but something to balance out the sweetness.
Here’s the rest of the stuff:
* The wall shelves are of course, IKEA. I already have them in white, but I plan on doing something cool to make them unwhite, I’ll post more when it’s done.
* The inspiration chandelier is for sale here, but I plan on repainting the ugly one that was in the dining room when we moved in, can’t decide yet whether to go with mint or the muted teal.
* The loveseat is also IKEA, not only is it a cute little space to sit, it’s a full size bed for guests and it has storage underneath for the bed linens. Total score.
* The pillow and throw are Anthropologie.
* The mobile craft station/file cabinet is a made over end table, inspiration found here.
* The rug is also IKEA. Only $30 and the perfect color.
* And the color palette is from Design Seeds.
* The tree branches as wall shelves were inspired by deco & style.
Update: Forgot to post my inspiration pic for the pink walls (mood board is also updated)
|Style at Home|
And there you have it. Will keep you updated as we progress on the room and see how close we can stick to the plan. Any advice or suggestions? Any rooms you have repurposed lately?
View all posts in this series:
- DIY paper light for under $15
- Loft progress!
- Ugly old sideboard to TV stand
- My New Wagon
- Our DIY pantry (from the only closet in the house)
- Sweet old bar cart, refinished
- yes, one more bar cart
- Craft room. Progress?
- DIY chalkboard tray
- Feminine office inspiration (yay, it’s finally Friday!)
- Front porch hopes
- DIY Rug from a drop cloth
- A bowl of mint-dipped cuteness
- Updated front porch rug and a spray painted pillow
- The (pretty much) finished front porch
- All new blue and gray (and still some pink) feminine office mood board
- The ceiling is blue
- Jewelry box turned into craft supply storage
- Painting a room that’s full of stuff
- Finished painting!
- Choosing the perfect sofa bed for such a small space
- Napkin holder organizers
- Updated eagle clock
- How to make a $2 wood grain binder
- Will the office work ever end?
- How to make your own matchstick blind valances
- DIY glitter thumbtacks
- Customized floating shelves for the office (Hacked Lacks!)
- What to do when you don’t have enough room for end tables
- Powder room plans
- The girly office/guest room is done! (for now)
- Decanter as bedside water pitcher
- The living room is finally presentable
- A fun change in plans
- Easy and cheap DIY fridge coaster
- Refinished thrift store lamps
- A mood board for the whole house
- Projects Happening
- The living room is lit!
- DIY birdcage chandelier
- Altering curtain panels: how to hide the tab tops
- Painted windows
- The living room is livable
- Building in hidden storage
- Breakfast table makeover
- A giant, invisible dry erase board
- The wall is back up and we built some furniture!
- Pretty, textured walls, if I do say so myself
- Setback in the powder room
- How to make a vessel sink from a serving bowl
- No more hazy grout
- Powder room reveal: 2 years in the making
- Easy shelf accessory: a painted toy
- Office Update
- Clothesline stand from an old pot
- Simplifying (Another post with embarrassing photos)
- How we fixed our odd cabinet layout with DIY open shelving
- The stairs are half naked
- A simple vanity update
- The best way to paint tile? Don’t
- Hiding more ugliness in the bathroom
- The cupboards are bare
- Finally, new end tables in the living room
- Painting the stairs
- And on a whim, the kitchen renovation has begun
- The big picture: our whole-house floor plan
- Kitchen style
- White walls in the kitchen
- A practical, $25 kitchen upgrade
- How to paint a range hood, from stainless steel to white
- Beautiful brackets
- The shelves for the open shelving
- We did it!
- The shameful basement
- The big kitchen reveal
- Silly half wall
- How to strip paint with a heat gun
- How about another basement sneak peak?
- Our dining room, at the moment
- A new, dark dining room
- DIY wall art for the kitchen
- Why dark walls look good in a room with little natural light
- Failed project: better-looking canopies
- Stone wall basement before-and-after
- Already a major upgrade to the laundry room
- DIY industrial lamp to replace an ugly ceiling fan
- Another unplanned living room update
- Turning napkin holders into wall organizers–again
- I did, in fact, get something accomplished this week.
- Every woman that owns clothes needs these
- The history of the bedroom
- The bedroom is looking way better already
- Giant furniture sale
- Things have to get ugly before they can get pretty
- Black doors and windows
- Our new closet reveal
- Jewelry on display
- We’re floorless
- Sneak peek of the dining room floor
- Dining room update
- Maintenance (The deck’s “before” photos)
- Major progress on the new deck!
- The deck is almost done
- Railings, railings, railings
- Removing 130 years of gunk from the hardwood floor (part 1)
- It’s here, it’s here!
- Bathroom shelves
- A serious upgrade for the cheap cabinet
- DIY tie storage
- Free slate trays
- A free upgrade for a drab light fixture
- The hallway before-and-after
- Bedroom update
- A small bathroom update
- Staging the bedroom, and a DIY headboard
- My fix for a peeling chalkboard
- Removing paint from vintage hardware
- Turning Moroccan lanterns into hanging bedside lamps
- Re-painting the kitchen cabinets
- We’re alive! And a bedroom update.
- We made progress on the kitchen renovation!
- Dining room update & a new project coming soon
- Building a built-in sliding-door pantry
- Giant update, guys!