Last week I posted about remodeling the kitchen (we’re attempting the One Room Challenge). Here’s the story on why this all started.
Back in November (yes, it’s MAY), we were going to host Thanksgiving. Days before, the main sewer pipe in our house rotted through.
I was downstairs doing laundry when water came down from upstairs and rocketed out the back side of the pipe and onto the wall of the basement. Not good.
Our current house has only one bathroom, and it’s on the other side of the kitchen, so the main pipe runs down the wall between the two rooms.
The bathroom is still vintage tile wall that we don’t have any interest in ripping out. The kitchen however, we wanted to gut. (At some point…later down the road…many months or even a year from this point…) But one of the walls had to go.
Kitchen it was. Days before Thanksgiving for 10.
We patched the pipe up enough to give us a few days to demolish cabinets so we could get to the wall.
The dresser posing as cabinets came out first, then the breakfast bar.
After that, we removed 5 layers of drywall and paneling (!) to get down to the studs so we would have a lot more room to move around in there.
And the wall was going to go anyway.
Then the stove came out along with the cabinet that was up against the back wall and we finally got to the offending pipe so it could be replaced.
The uppers are also down now, the fake brick and the drywall are also gone, and that’s where we are right now!
Next is removing the studs and putting a header in (the wall is load-bearing), then putting drywall back up on the back wall.
After that, we’ll put in the new cabinets (still have to wait until we can actually purchase some), countertops, new sink, and appliances.