Not really demolition…I just removed the counter’s muffin top and backsplash, took down the light and mirror, the floor’s backsplash and mudded the walls to get ready for painting.
It’s week two of the $100 room makeover challenge! On day one of the challenge last week, I spent over half my $100 budget. On Sunday, I spent another $29. So I currently have $15 left and I really hope nothing unexpected comes up. The good news is that I don’t have a plan for that extra $15 at the moment, so I might get to splurge on some cute accessories or something! 😂
After shopping (of course), the first project was the vanity. I’m not excited about keeping it, but I have hope of making it look decent
The wood will be sanded down and refinished, but that had to wait until after the painting. So the countertop is up first.
Things I didn’t like about it:
- How far the lip hung over the edge
- The curved backsplash (to match the flooring throughout the house)
- The old and stained laminate
- The sink (can’t change that on the budget)
So here’s what happened:
I cut the laminate off at the curve, then found that the muffin top was an additional piece of wood nailed in place. That made my job much easier, because I was planning on just running a saw down the length of the counter and hoping I kept it straight!
I did the same on the front, and then scored the backsplash and started peeling it off the wall. The corner support pieces for the curve had to be pulled out as well, which was tricky and kinda tore up the laminate.
I am hoping to keep the laminate so I have a smooth surface to adhere the contact paper to. We’ll see how well that goes.
Better so far! I also removed the light fixture and the giant mirror.
The mudding of all the holes isn’t pictured (there are half-a-dozen in the wall behind the door.
Next will be painting, then sanding down and refinishing the vanity, putting on new knobs, and tearing out the floor.
So far so good! Here is what the rest of the ladies participating in the $100 room challenge are up to: