Thank you for all of your feedback on my vintage desk lamp redo! Either of the choices would have been cute, but I’m very happy with it being matte black. I love how the brass on the inside lights up when the lamp is on and casts a nice warm glow.
I really liked the ideas that some of you had to add a touch of turquoise too, so that’s what I did. Not only was it a great compromise, it let me fix the one flaw that was bothering me: the ugly brown cord. Usually, a cord wouldn’t bother me much, but this one will be in full view since the wall outlet that the lamp plugs into is is a good 4 feet away from my desk. So I wrapped it in yarn.
Unfortunately, it is not turquoise. It does have more green in it in person than in the pictures, but believe it or not, it’s the closest color Michael’s had to turquoise. 🙁 I made sure that the yarn would be wrapped in a way that it could be easily removed and re-wrapped when I do find a nice turquoise color.
The yarn wrapping is really simple to do. Just cut a piece about 6 feet long, and tie a basic knot around the cord, at the half-way (3 feet) point of your yarn. Slide the knot up to the top of the cord and start wrapping. I put a dab of hot glue on the cord about every 8 inches to help it to stay in place. About a foot before your yarn runs out, just cut a new piece like the first one, knot it on top of the current yarn and keep wrapping. For a while, you’ll be working with 4 pieces, which will make it go much faster. When you get to the end of a string, just hot glue it down and keep going with the rest.
It only took about 30 minutes to wrap the cord and about $2 for the yarn (there’s a ton left).
As for this powder room project of ours… I’ll give you just one example of how it is going so far:
I told you about our great plans to spend all of Sunday and Monday working on it. The first project was hanging the light fixture, but we forgot to buy a mounting box for it. First thing Sunday, we tried to go to the store to buy one, but when we got in our car, the gear shift broke. We messed with it for a while, but got nowhere, so we got in the other car, which started just fine but wouldn’t stay running. Instead of powder room remodeling, the Hubs spent the day fixing the cars and I caught up on housework. We did eventually get out of the driveway and manage to get the light hung, but that’s it so far. Hopefully this Sunday will be better.